Friday, April 15, 2011

Blast Off!

Whoosh...thud! That’s the sound of me launching into the blogosphere and landing here, in My Journey Toward Haiti.  It has taken me several months to muster the courage to leap into this world of blogging.  But here I am! Glad you’ve joined me!
Some people have the idea that blogs are “so 2001”.  So you’ll have to forgive me if I am behind the times for just getting started.  In fact, I didn’t even know there was such a thing until about three years ago.  No one could ever accuse me of being a “techie”, that’s for sure! It’s not that I wasn’t intrigued by blogs (once I discovered them).  It’s just that I struggled for a long time with putting myself “out there”.  You see, I’m a perfectionist.  I generally don’t want to “show up” (in any area of my life) until I’ve perfected my craft.  Blogging is especially intimidating because I read so many amazing blogs on a regular basis (check out Blogs That Shine in my sidebar).
I realize that there are several problems with waiting until I think I’m perfect: First of all, I’d be lying to myself and everyone else (because I’ll never get there this side of heaven).  Second, I’d be comparing myself to God, the only Perfect One.  And finally, I would not be of any encouragement to others who are struggling to make sense of this thing called life. 
But one thing I have discovered is that “my” story (my journey, if you will) is not about me.  What it’s really about is God’s unending grace, mercy, and love, and the fact that He still chooses to use the likes of me to do something - anything - for His kingdom.  It’s only about me to the degree that I am willing to be broken, poured out, and surrendered to His will. 
That’s all for now.  I hope you’ll visit me here again.  I plan to write about my passion for orphans and my upcoming trip to Haiti soon.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment